Texas Interstate Entry Requirements

Got health papers? State and Federal rules regarding animal movement, travel, entry and show requirements, and international import and export can be complex and involve more than one government agency, but the goal is always the same – to ensure the health of animals in our state.

The Texas Animal Health Commission specifically regulates the entry of many livestock, poultry and exotic livestock species into the state and into interstate shows and exhibitions. In addition to those requirements, this page provides background info and contacts for other relevant state and federal regulatory authorities to help you get your animals moving no matter what their species or their destination.

If you still have questions, we encourage you to call our Permits staff at 512-719-0777 or 800-550-8242 ext 777.

Plan ahead, call ahead, and consult the State Animal Health Official and your veterinarian!

Interstate LivestockInterstate Animal Movement Requirements
Quick, accurate access to state import requirements for livestock.

Interstate Movement & Intrastate Movement

The following links summarize Texas entry requirements and requirements for moving animals within the state of Texas. Complete TAHC regulations may be found in the Texas Administrative Code (TAHC Rules).

Texas Livestock Show Animal Health Regulations

Animals entering shows in Texas must meet all applicable entry requirements as listed by species above.

To learn about major Texas show requirements, visit their websites at:

To learn more about stock shows and fairs in your area, please contact your local Agrilife Extension Agent.

Taking animals from Texas to other states

To move animals or animal products from Texas into other states, contact the state of destination. A downloadable list of contact information for all 50 state animal health agencies may be found on the U.S. Animal Health Association website or on the USDA website.

International Export and Import

International Export

Exporting an animal from the US requires specific documentation and possible testing in advance, and may take weeks or months of preparation. You should begin by contacting a USDA accredited private veterinary practitioner to assist you in the process. Most licensed veterinarians are accredited, so start by discussing this with your personal veterinarian. You or your veterinary practitioner should then contact the USDA Veterinary Services (VS) office in Austin as early as possible to receive specific instructions and entry requirements for the country to which you wish to ship animals. Generally, an international health certificate is issued by a private local veterinarian and then sent to the USDA-VS office in Austin. All paperwork is subsequently approved by that office (you do not actually have to take your pet to the Austin office) and returned to the veterinarian.

For exporting animals and animal germplasm out of the United States from Texas, contact the USDA APHIS VS Texas export staff in Austin at expcerttx@aphis.usda.gov or (512) 383-2411 Monday – Friday 7:30am – 4pm. For exporting animal products out of the United States from Texas please contact USDA-VS at servicecenter4@aphis.usda.gov or (405) 751-1701

Useful Export website links:

International Import

There are many different processes involved with importing species of live animals into the United States. U.S. import procedures are generally regulated by federal rules and agencies, rather than state entities. If you have any questions, or require further information related to imports of live animals, birds or germplasm, please contact National Center for Import and Export at email VS.Live.Animal.Import.Export@aphis.usda.gov or call (301) 851-3300 option 2.

Please make sure you have met all TAHC entry requirements for livestock. View the TAHC entry requirements by clicking on the appropriate species button. See also Dog & Cat link for more pet import info.

Useful Import Links:

Miscellaneous Permits & Import/Export Links

The Department of State Health Services has requirements for keeping animals that are classified as dangerous animals in the state of Texas. This could include a dangerous dog, a lion, a tiger, an ocelot, a cougar, a leopard, a cheetah, a jaguar, a bobcat, a lynx, a serval, a caracal, a hyena, a bear, a coyote, a jackal, a baboon, a chimpanzee, an orangutan, a gorilla, or any hybrid of an animal listed.) For more information, see the DSHS website.

Texas Parks and Wildlife requires permits for the possession or rehabilitation of a variety of wild animal species in Texas including but not limited to: fur-bearing species (badger, beaver, all fox, mink, muskrat, nutria, opossum, otter, raccoon, ring-tailed cat, all skunks), raptors/falcons/birds of prey, certain turtles, and other fish and wildlife. For more information, visit the TPW website or call (512) 389-4800.

The U.S. Department of the Interior, Law Enforcement Division, Fish and Wildlife Services , has responsibility pertaining to the importation of reptiles, fish, and endangered species. For more information, visit the Fish and Wildlife Services website.