View printable policy [pdf]

Open Records

Texas Government Code, Chapter 552, gives the public the right to request access to government information. Neither an officer for public information nor the officer’s agent may ask why a requestor is seeking the information. A public information request must be made in writing, and the information requested must already be in existence. The Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) is not required to answer questions, perform legal research, or create new information when responding to a public information request. All government information is presumed to be available to the public; however, certain exceptions may apply to the disclosure of information to protect against the disclosure of confidential or privileged information. If it appears that an exception to disclosure applies to your request, an open records opinion will be sought from the Office of the Attorney General. Governmental bodies are otherwise required to promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law.

Procedures to Obtain Public Information

  • To make an Open Records Request for information and/or documents from the Texas Animal Health Commission, you must do so in writing.
  • Your written request should reasonably identify the information/records you are requesting. Your request should also include your mailing address, phone number, or other means to contact you.
  • Cooperate with the governmental body's reasonable efforts to clarify the type or amount of information requested.

Please send your request by one of the following:

  • Electronic Submission
    • Submit a request on the Texas Animal Health Commission Open Records Center.
    • TAHC has adopted a new system for submitting public information requests. Requests can now be submitted through our Open Records Center. It is our intention that this new system will enable us to provide requestors the highest quality service, while also being a useful resource for your public information request needs.
    • Answers to frequent questions are available at our Open Records Center FAQs.
  • Alternative Methods to Make a Request
    • Mail: Texas Animal Health Commission, P.O. Box 12966, Austin TX 78711-2966
    • Email:
    • In person: 2105 Kramer Lane, Austin, TX 78758
    • Fax: (512) 719-0719

Open Records Policy

Texas Government Code, Chapter 552, gives you the right to access government records; and an officer for public information and the officer’s agent may not ask why you want them. All government information is presumed to be available to the public. Certain exceptions may apply to the disclosure of the information. Governmental bodies shall promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law, either constitutional, statutory, or by judicial decision, or information for which an exception to disclosure has not been sought.

Rights of Requestors

You have the right to:

  • Prompt access to information that is not confidential or otherwise protected;
  • Receive treatment equal to all other requestors, including accommodation in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements;
  • Receive certain kinds of information without exceptions, like the voting record of public officials or information;
  • Receive a written statement of estimated charges, when charges will exceed $40, in advance of work being started and opportunity to modify the request in response to the itemized statement;
  • Choose whether to inspect the requested information (most often at no charge), receive copies of the information or both;
  • A waiver or reduction of charges if the governmental body determines that access to the information primarily benefits the general public;
  • Receive a copy of the communication from the governmental body asking the Office of the Attorney General for a ruling on whether the information can be withheld under one of the accepted exceptions, or if the communication discloses the requested information, a redacted copy;
  • Lodge a written complaint about overcharges for public information with the Office of the Attorney General. Complaints of other possible violations may be filed with the county or district attorney of the county where the governmental body, other that a state agency, is located. If the complaint is against the county or district attorney, the complaint must be filed with the Office of the Attorney General.

Responsibilities of Governmental Bodies

All governmental bodies responding to information have the responsibility to:

  • Establish reasonable procedures for inspecting and copying public information and inform all requestors of these procedures;
  • Treat all requestors uniformly and shall give to the requestor all reasonable comfort and facility, including accommodation in accordance with ADA requirements;
  • Be informed about open records laws and educate employees on the requirements of those laws;
  • Inform requestors of the estimated charges greater than $40 and any changes in the estimates above 20 percent of the original estimate, and confirm that the requestor accepts the charges, has amended the request, or has sent a complaint of overcharges to the Office of the Attorney General, in writing before finalizing the request;
  • Inform the requestor if the information cannot be provided promptly and set a date and time to provide it within a reasonable time;
  • Request a ruling from the Office of the Attorney General regarding any information the governmental body wishes to withhold, and send a copy of the request for ruling, or a redacted copy, to the requestor;
  • Segregate public information from information that may be withheld and provide that public information promptly;
  • Make a good faith attempt to inform third parties when their proprietary information is being requested from the governmental body;
  • Respond in writing to all written communications from the Office of the Attorney General regarding charges for the information. Respond to the Office of the Attorney General regarding complaints about violations of the Act.

A. Information to be Released

  • You may review it promptly, and if it cannot be produced within 10 working days the public information officer will notify you in writing of the reasonable date and time when it will be available.
  • Keep all appointments to inspect records and to pick up copies. Failure to keep appointments may result in losing the opportunity to inspect the information at the time requested.

B. Information that may be withheld due to an exception

  • By the 10th business day after a governmental body receives your written request, a governmental body must:
    1. request an Attorney General opinion and state which exceptions apply;
    2. notify the requestor of the referral to the Attorney General; and
    3. notify third parties if the request involves their proprietary information.
  • Failure to request an Attorney General opinion and notify the requestor within 10 business days will result in a presumption that the information is open unless there is a compelling reason to withhold it.
  • Requestors may send a letter to the Attorney General arguing for release, and may review arguments made by the governmental body. If the arguments disclose the requested information, the requestor may obtain a redacted copy.
  • The Attorney General must issue a decision no later than the 45th working day from the day after the Attorney General received the request for a decision. The Attorney General may request an additional 10 working day extension.
  • Governmental bodies may not ask the Attorney General to "reconsider" an opinion.

Costs of Records

  • You must respond to any written estimate of charges within 10 business days of the date the governmental body sent it or the request is considered automatically withdrawn.
  • If estimated costs exceed $100.00, the governmental body may require a bond, prepayment or deposit.
  • You may ask the governmental body to determine whether providing the information primarily benefits the general public, resulting in a waiver or reduction of charges.
  • Make a timely payment for all mutually agreed charges. A governmental body can demand payment of overdue balances exceeding $100.00, or obtain a security deposit, before processing additional requests from you.

Public Information Complaints

For complaints regarding failure to release public information, please contact the Office of the Attorney General, Open Government Hotline, at 512-478-6736 or toll-free at 1-877-673-6839.

For complaints regarding overcharges, please contact the Office of the Attorney General, Cost Hotline at at 512-475-2497 or toll-free at 1-888-672-6787.


If you need special accommodation pursuant to the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact our ADA coordinator at (512) 719-0700.